WASHINGTON, DC - Wells Fargo was the top commercial/multifamily mortgage originator in 2011, according to a set of listings released today by the Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA). Other originators in the top 10 include HFF, L.P.; Meridian Capital Group, LLC.; CBRE Capital Markets, Inc.; PNC Real Estate; MetLife Real Estate Investments; Deutsche Bank Commercial Real Estate; Prudential Mortgage Capital Company; Northmarq Capital LLC; and JP Morgan (CMBS).
Highlights of the listing include:
Seven different companies topped the 11 lists reporting originations by investor groups:
• Wells Fargo Bank was the top originator for commercial banks/savings institutions; for Fannie Mae; for FHA/Ginnie Mae; for REITS and mortgage REITS, investment funds; and for other investors.
• JP Morgan was the top originator for commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS).
• MetLife Real Estate Investments was the top originator for life insurance companies.
• CBRE Capital Markets Inc. was the top originator for Freddie Mac.
• TIAA-CREF was the top originator for pension funds.
• HFF was the top originator for credit companies.
• Mesa West Capital was the top originator for specialty finance.
By dollar volume, the top five originators for third parties in 2011 were Wells Fargo Bank, HFF, Meridian Capital Group, CBRE Capital Markets and Northmarq Capital.
The top five lenders in 2011 were Wells Fargo, MetLife Real Estate Investments, PNC Real Estate, Deutsche Bank Commercial Real Estate and Prudential Mortgage Capital.
The MBA study is the only one of its kind to present a comprehensive set of listings of commercial/multifamily mortgage originators and the different roles they play. The MBA report, Commercial Real Estate/Multifamily Finance Firms – Annual Origination Volumes, presents origination volumes in more than 140 categories, including by role, by investor group, by property type, by financing structure type and by the location of the originating office.
A copy of the results is available for sale through MBA’s Online Store.
The Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA) is the national association representing the real estate finance industry, an industry that employs more than 280,000 people in virtually every community in the country. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the association works to ensure the continued strength of the nation’s residential and commercial real estate markets; to expand homeownership and extend access to affordable housing to all Americans. MBA promotes fair and ethical lending practices and fosters professional excellence among real estate finance employees through a wide range of educational programs and a variety of publications. Its membership of over 2,200 companies includes all elements of real estate finance: mortgage companies, mortgage brokers, commercial banks, thrifts, Wall Street conduits, life insurance companies and others in the mortgage lending field.