The question that will come to mind as you read this is "who does that?". The unfortunate answer is too many people. We are in an industry full of talented people. Mostly.
If these mistakes are occurring with your assets it is probably time to look for new management, first to stop the damage and second to remedy the potential of on-going issues and the exposure they present. Suffice to say these are all ..... bad.
1. Allowing a danger to public safety to persist. Suspect electrical, known illegal drug use, endangerment of children, domestic abuse, violent behavior. No good choices here. All or any similar issues must be addressed in real time once known.
2. Creating, encouraging or allowing fraudulent acts. No one should be skimming off the top. PM is a business. If you can not do the business without a very high level of integrity then get out of the business, please.
3. Keeping a bad hire. Other than fire or natural disasters keeping a bad hire is one of the costliest mistakes. It is one thing to make the mistake, quite another to allow it to persist and potentially cause more damage.
4. Bad tenant screening (or no tenant screening). Anymore, the expense of obtaining a background screening is really, really cheap insurance. Having this tool available and failing to implement is trouble waiting to happen.
5. Letting water run. In doors. Out doors. Running water is seldom a positive. Find the pliers. Call the plumber, the roofer, the candle stick maker- who ever has the answer Get that water stopped. Same day.
6. Allowing insurance to lapse. 'nough said. Murphy's Law lives here.
7. Ignoring maintenance calls. News flash... they do not go away. Good will is hard to earn, easy to lose. If management doesn't care about your customers who will?
8. Ignoring renewals. The number one objective to retaining a stable income stream is making sure your customers are staying with a proactive renewal policy. No renewals policy, no stable income.
9. Lack of record keeping. Uncle Sam eventually catches up and when he does it's like an ocean wave hitting a single piece of sand. Keep good records. File tax documents on time using quality service providers.
10. Avoiding the telephone. There are varying policies regarding telephone etiquette and responsiveness. Implement a policy and stick with it Your customers and potential customers want consistency. Having the attitude of "they'll call back" is self-deception. "They" (potential tenants) do not. They talk to the next person that picks up the phone.
About This Blog
Multifamily Insight is dedicated to assisting current and future multifamily property owners, operators and investors in executing specific tasks that allow multifamily assets to operate at their highest level of efficiency. We discuss real world issues in multifamily property management and acquisitions. This blog is intended to be informational only and does not provide legal, financial or accounting advice. Seek professional counsel. For more information, visit: www.MultifamilyInsight.com
Multifamily Investor Hamilton Zanze Acquires 264-Unit Springs at Foothills Farm Apartment Community Located in Colorado Springs
Security Properties and Pacific Life Acquire 118-Unit Monte Vista Senior Apartment Community Located in San Jose, California
Middleburg Communities and SFO Capital Partners Complete Acquisition of 270-Unit The Baldwin Apartment Community in Orlando
Champion Companies Purchases 472-Unit Northpark Place Apartment Community in Central Ohio’s Popular Polaris Submarket
The latest multifamily industry news
delivered to your inbox
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO - San Francisco-based real estate firm Hamilton Zanze (HZ) has acquired the...
SAN JOSE, CA - Security Properties has teamed with Pacific Life Insurance Company and Hearthstone...
ORLANDO, FL - Middleburg Communities, and SFO Capital Partners, a London-based global real estate...
COLUMBUS, OH - The Champion Companies, one of Ohio’s leading multifamily investment,...
AUGUSTA, GA - Capital Square, one of the nation's leading sponsors of tax-advantaged real estate...
NEW YORK, NY - Hudson Valley Property Group (HVPG), a leading, national affordable housing...
RALEIGH, NC - Mill Creek Residential, a leading developer, owner-operator and investment manager...
MCDONOUGH, GA - Vista Residential Partners, a national multifamily development firm, has closed on...
The latest multifamily industry news delivered to your inbox.