NEW YORK, NY - Mortgage rates are on the rise again this week, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate moving up to 4.34 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.34 discount and origination points.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage rate inched up to 3.43 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate rose to 4.41 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were also higher this week, with the 5-year ARM rising to 3.37 percent, the 7-year ARM jumping to 3.58 percent.
As 2013 came to a close, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 4.69 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,036.07. After drifting lower for much of the first five months of 2014, the average rate is now 4.32 percent, and the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $994.45, a savings of nearly $42 per month for anyone that waited.
30-year fixed: 4.34% -- up from 4.32% last week (avg. points: 0.36)
15-year fixed: 3.43% -- up from 3.41% last week (avg. points: 0.24)
5/1 ARM: 3.37% -- up from 3.31% last week (avg. points: 0.22)
Bankrate's national weekly mortgage survey is conducted each Wednesday from data provided by the top 10 banks and thrifts in the top 10 markets.
For a full analysis of this week's move in mortgage rates, go to www.bankrate.com
The survey is complemented by Bankrate's weekly Rate Trend Index, in which a panel of mortgage experts predicts which way the rates are headed over the next seven days. The majority of panelists, 86 percent, say mortgage rates will stay more or less unchanged in the upcoming week. The remaining experts, 14 percent, predict mortgage rates will rise this week.
Source: BankRate.com / #Housing #Economy